Monday, October 7, 2013

“Chelsea Galleries Reaction”

I would say out of the few galleries I visited, the Paula Cooper Gallery was my favorite of all. At first I thought it was going to be just like every other gallery, where I didn’t find much interesting but I was wrong. At that moment I was certain that I was hungry because I looked at a painting, “Squiggly Brushstrokes”, Sol LeWitt, as gummy worms, and I love gummy worms. The colors used and how the lines curved at certain places made me think that way. In another room was where I found the “Wall Drawing #564”, the place was big and because it was big I already wanted a place like that to be my bedroom. Over five years ago I moved to a different place, still in the same neighborhood but it took me almost three years to actually settle down and make my bedroom feel like home. I used different colors, designs, and objects.  The “Wall Drawing #564”, left me staring at all the colors, as well as how some lines extended onto another canvas. I would definitely invest in it and display it at home, while attempting to create the same feeling that it gave me at the gallery. In addition, I found out the “Wall Drawing #564” is worth $1.6 billion.  
I disliked the Elizabeth Dee Gallery/Post Culture for several of reasons. For one, I didn’t find absolutely anything that I enjoyed gazing at. “Mostly that your face is like the sky behind the Holiday Inn”, Gabriele Beveridge, a piece of art work consists of a window blind and a frame of a woman and this provoked the word “garbage” to cross through my thoughts. The window blind seemed to be broken and either way I don’t know the woman in the frame to be thinking of purchasing it. It probably took Gabriele three minutes to create this piece. Julia Wachtel’s art work; “Doughnutville”, is based on two colors and a face of a man on a canvas, which only left me wondering it must have took her less than ten minutes to create this piece. Another thing I noticed, right at the moment when I set a foot in this gallery I wanted to leave right away because I felt all those art works weren’t good enough to be bought or be displayed. I'll rather invest in something that actually seems as if the artist took their time to create their art work.

Sol LeWitt
“Squiggly Brushstrokes”
1996

Sol LeWitt
“Wall Drawing #564”
1988

 Gabriele Beveridge
“Mostly that your face is like the sky behind the Holiday Inn”
2013

Julia Wachtel
“Doughnutville”

1992

No comments:

Post a Comment